Warde Manuel isn’t going quietly at least not yet. Amid a swirl of reports suggesting the University of Michigan athletic director’s job was already effectively over, Manuel broke his silence on Monday, July 13, directly denying that any decision has been made and insisting he intends to remain in the role.
Here’s a full, fact-checked breakdown of what Manuel actually said, what triggered the speculation, and where things stand heading into a pivotal Board of Regents meeting this Thursday.
What Warde Manuel Actually Said
Speaking directly to Yahoo Sports’ Ross Dellenger on Monday, Manuel addressed the reports about his future head-on. “The president and I have had several great conversations over the past couple of days,” Manuel said. “There are no plans for me not to continue to be the athletic director for the near future.”
It’s a carefully worded statement, and one clearly aimed at knocking down the more extreme rumors that had circulated over the weekend including some reports suggesting he had already been fired. According to Dellenger, Manuel also indicated that no buyout is currently being worked out to remove him from the position, directly contradicting some of the more aggressive reporting from the days prior.
What Triggered the Speculation
The controversy stems from an independent investigation into the culture of Michigan’s athletic department, conducted by the Chicago-based law firm Jenner & Block. The probe was launched in the wake of the Sherrone Moore scandal, in which the former Michigan football coach was fired in December after the athletic department learned of an inappropriate relationship between Moore and a subordinate staff member. Moore was later arrested and ultimately pleaded to misdemeanor charges tied to an incident at the staffer’s home, receiving 18 months of probation.
Reports circulating over the weekend indicated the Michigan Board of Regents would meet Thursday specifically to discuss Manuel’s status as athletic director, with the investigation’s findings expected to play a central role in that discussion. Some reports went further, suggesting Manuel had already been fired outright claims Manuel and more credible reporting have since pushed back on, characterizing Thursday’s meeting as a genuine discussion rather than a formality on an already-decided outcome.
The Contract Details That Make This Complicated
Any decision on Manuel’s future isn’t as simple as the university just choosing to move on. Manuel signed a five-year contract extension in December 2024 that runs through June 2030, reportedly worth more than $2 million annually. According to Dellenger, that contract includes a buyout provision requiring Michigan to pay 36 months of salary as severance unless the school and Manuel are able to reach a separate settlement agreement.
That’s a significant financial commitment for the university to weigh, and it helps explain why this situation has played out as a drawn-out, multi-day negotiation and reporting saga rather than a clean, immediate resolution.
Manuel’s Decade at Michigan
Manuel has served as Michigan’s athletic director since 2016, making him one of the longer-tenured administrators in major college athletics. His tenure has featured genuine on-field success Michigan has won national championships in football (2023), men’s basketball (2026), women’s gymnastics (2021), and men’s gymnastics (2025) during his time overseeing the department.
But it’s also been a tenure marked by repeated off-field controversy. The Connor Stalions sign-stealing scandal, which resulted in significant NCAA sanctions and eventually drove Jim Harbaugh out of Ann Arbor, unfolded on Manuel’s watch. So did the Matt Weiss case, in which a former co-offensive coordinator was fired and later charged with felony computer crimes. And now the Moore situation — arguably the most serious of the three, given the criminal charges involved has become the direct catalyst for the current threat to Manuel’s own job security.
Manuel has also navigated recent turnover across multiple programs. Kyle Whittingham was brought in externally to replace Moore at football. In men’s basketball, after Dusty May’s surprising departure to the NBA’s Dallas Mavericks just months after winning a national championship at Michigan, the school promoted assistant Mike Boynton to head coach, recently signing him to a two-year deal.
Not Everyone Reporting the Same Story
One notable thread running through this situation is the gap between different levels of reporting. Some accounts over the weekend — described by at least one outlet as coming from “uncredible personalities” — claimed Manuel had already been fired. More credible, established reporters instead described Thursday’s board meeting as the actual moment when Manuel’s fate would be discussed and potentially decided, not an event confirming a decision that had already quietly been made.
Manuel’s own statement to Dellenger fits that more measured version of events: a leader actively in conversation with university leadership, not one who has already been shown the door.
What Happens Thursday
The Michigan Board of Regents is scheduled to meet Thursday, with Manuel’s future as athletic director expected to be a central topic of discussion, informed by the findings of the Jenner & Block investigation. As of Manuel’s Monday comments, no final decision had been made public, and the athletic director himself maintains that his ongoing conversations with university president Domenico Grasso have not pointed toward his removal.
Given the size of Manuel’s buyout provision and the genuine on-field success Michigan has had under his leadership, this is shaping up to be a far more complicated decision for the university than a simple choice to move on — regardless of how the investigation’s findings ultimately land.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Warde Manuel being fired as Michigan’s athletic director? As of his statement to Yahoo Sports on Monday, July 13, no final decision has been made. Manuel says he has “no plans” to leave the role.
What did Warde Manuel say about his job status? He told Yahoo Sports’ Ross Dellenger: “The president and I have had several great conversations over the past couple of days. There are no plans for me not to continue to be the athletic director for the near future.”
Why is Warde Manuel’s job in question? An independent investigation by the law firm Jenner & Block into the culture of Michigan’s athletic department, triggered by the Sherrone Moore scandal, is expected to inform a Board of Regents discussion about Manuel’s future.
How much would it cost Michigan to fire Warde Manuel? Manuel’s contract, signed in December 2024 and running through June 2030, reportedly includes a buyout provision requiring 36 months of severance pay unless a separate settlement is reached.
When will a decision on Manuel’s future be made? The Michigan Board of Regents is scheduled to meet Thursday, July 16, to discuss the matter.
Final Word
For now, Warde Manuel is standing firm, publicly denying that his decade-long tenure as Michigan’s athletic director is already over despite days of swirling speculation. But his own carefully worded statement emphasizing ongoing conversations rather than a settled outcome makes clear that Thursday’s Board of Regents meeting will be the moment that actually determines his fate, not a formality confirming a decision that’s already been made behind closed doors.
Discover more from Allsportsreports
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.




